Pack the car. Fight the traffic. Drive hours to the mountains. Family ski enthusiasts: There is a better way.
Liftopia, the largest mobile marketplace for lift tickets, resort meal vouchers, other mountain activities and lodging, just launched Liftopia Experiences. These hosted bus trips in 26 markets around the country make hitting the slopes effortless and enjoyable. In other words, parents and children aged 18 and older will be able to spend some relaxed quality time together the entire day without the hassle of getting yourselves to the gondola.
The experiences all include round-trip transportation in a luxury coach to a nearby ski resort, lift ticket and Liftopia guide; guests can book optional add-ons like rentals, lessons, accommodations and more. (Depending on the market, these might include excursions like snow tubing or even a visit to a local brewery for some porter after all that powder.) Current metro markets include Washington, D.C., New York City, Toronto, Seattle and San Francisco, with prices starting at $89 per person.
The focus and philosophy of Liftopia Experiences is to introduce newbies to mountain sports, while making the day high quality and enjoyable for all, no matter if you stick to the green circles or brave the double black diamonds. So if your family has wanted to embark on a skiing expedition together, or if just enough time lapses in between trips to make everyone rusty and in need of a brush-up by way of a private or group lesson, this experience is for you.
The Liftopia Host who will accompany you is a specially trained mountain expert at the ready to offer tips and inside intel on the runs you’ll want to try that day based on your skill level. They are also on hand to help make the rental process smoother, direct you to the area for lessons and answer any other questions you might have.
For more than 13 years Liftopia has been a leader in helping skiers book mountain activities in more than 250 ski areas in North America and Europe — all while saving them money. With this new venture they partnered with Sourced Adventures, a respected outdoor adventure outfitter, to make sure you have memorable family fun. (Download the Liftopia app to save up to 50 percent off window rates when purchased in advance.)
“Liftopia has always been about improving accessibility to the mountains, and Liftopia Experiences is our next step to decrease friction for customers looking to enjoy more time outside in the winter,” said Evan Reece, CEO, Liftopia. “These trips take the guesswork out of getting to the mountains for people new to skiing and snowboarding, and they provide relaxing and fun alternatives to seasoned customers looking to remove the stress of driving.”
Here are a sample of where you can go on a Liftopia Experience:
- Ann Arbor, Michigan. to Mount Brighton, Michigan
- Baltimore and Owings Mills, Maryland, to Liberty Resort, Pennsylvania
- Boston and Northampton, Massachusetts, to Ski Ward, Massachusetts, and Crotched Mountain, New Hampshire
- Cambridge, Massachusetts, to Ski Ward, Massachusetts, and Crotched Mountain, New Hampshire
- Chicago, Illinois, to Wilmot Mountain, Wisconsin
- Denver, Arvada and Golden, Colorado, to Loveland Ski Area and Echo Mountain, Colorado
- Detroit and Ann Arbor, Michigan, to Mount Brighton, Michigan
- Hartford and New Haven, Connecticut, to Mount Snow, Vermont
- Hoboken and Jersey City, New Jersey, to Hunter Mountain, New York
- Los Angeles, California, to Mount Baldy, California
- Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota, to Wild Mountain, Minnesota
- New York City to Hunter Mountain, New York; Mountain Creek, New Jersey; and Mount Snow, Vermont
- Philadelphia and Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, to Shawnee Mountain, Jack Frost and Big Boulder, Pennsylvania
- San Francisco, California, (multiple locations) to Boreal Mountain and Sugar Bowl Resort, California
- Toronto, Ontario, to Chicopee Tubing Park & Ski Snow Valley
- Washington, D.C. to Whitetail Mountain Resort
If you’re looking for a charming new island escape on the East Coast, get away to a locale many have yet to discover. Daufuskie Island considers itself the Nantucket of the South, a hidden gem off the Southeast Coast, near Savannah, Georgia, and Hilton Head. The luxurious environment is unpretentious, but filled with all the amenities discerning family travelers need.
A beach vacation is a family favorite in the summertime; the weather is nice, towns are thriving and there are fun activities all season. For families looking for the ultimate summer beach vacation, consider Ocean City, New Jersey.
Prior to any family trip, every responsible adult will have a checklist to ensure the journey and destination can be made as safe as possible for everybody. A packing list can incorporate healthy snacks, bug repellant, a first-aid kit and minor illness remedies (cold and flu meds; anti-diarrhea pills) while pre-trip cautions — depending on the location — immunizations and family discussions on how to avoid injury.
With technology advancing faster than ever, children globally are becoming attached to devices. Adults too. Our Netflix queue and ever-expanding inbox call our names even when we’re on vacation. We carry distractions with us everywhere, and it’s becoming increasingly difficult to truly connect with your loved ones.
You don’t need a passport for a family-friendly island vacation — just a car to take you over the Causeway Bridge in Ft. Myers to Sanibel and Captiva islands in Florida. South Seas Island Resort on Captiva Island offers sugar white-sand beaches, 20 swimming pools, watersports, golf and more than a dozen dining options.