Beach-loving oenophiles: A new epicurean adventure gives you a peek into Hawaii’s heritage of fishing, hunting and gathering Maui’s seafood, game and produce. Fire & Wine is a unique experience at Four Seasons Maui led by an open-fire chef and advanced sommelier that will give you a whole new appreciation for the island’s culinary culture.
Fire & Wine is the newest of the resort’s Unforgettable Experiences, a customizable series of high-end experiences that connect guests to the people and places on Maui in a most immersive way.
“This newest Unforgettable Experience gives guests a unique glimpse into a part of Hawaii’s history that is so important but often un-experienced,” said director of guest experience Shermaine Rodrigues. “Haiku House itself is a treasure, but add Yeshua’s open fire cooking and the world’s best wines, and the experience is nothing short of spectacular.”
Here are six things you’ll encounter during Fire & Wine:
- You’ll depart via an aerial tour from Blue Hawaiian Helicopters. Located just a few minutes from the resort, the outlet lets you explore waterfalls, sea cliffs and even the Haleakala Crater on the way to the event.
- The ride ends on the manicured grounds of Haiku House, a historical estate located on the North Shore at the edge of the jungle. Once safely on terra firma you’ll be able to explore the area on electric bikes or on a stroll through the citrus grove or garden.
- Yeshua Goodman, owner and head chef, Kiawe Outdoor, and the island’s most accomplished master sommelier will greet you at the fire, where the personalized menu you created in advance will already be cooking on an open fire using ingredients procured from the island like deep-sea fish, axis deer and unique produce.
- An interactive blind wine tasting led by Goodman will decide the liquid pairings for the evening’s menu.
- While the meal is still being prepared you’ll be led on an insider’s tour of Haiku House by a representative of the Alexander & Baldwin Sugar Museum, where you’ll learn about the property’s past connection to the sugar industry. A portion of the profits from the tour benefit this nonprofit’s efforts to preserve the history of Maui’s sugar industry.
- It all culminates in a multicourse meal cooked over kiawe (mesquite) wood and paired with the selected wines, all served under a canopy of monkeypod trees by Goodman himself, finishing with a dessert from Four Seasons Maui executive pastry chef Riccardo Menicucci.
Fire & Wine costs $23,500 for up to six persons. To learn more, click here.
If you’re planning a multigenerational getaway this winter, look into these luxury resorts perfect for a vacation with the entire crew.
By Hainan Airlines
After gathering apples from our tree for several days, my husband and I made the drive to Kisma Preserve near Mount Desert Island in coastal Maine with one wish: to meet the resident bear. A long-time resident at Kisma, Flipper the Bear has lived at the wildlife preserve since he was discovered (as a youngster himself) playing with a group of small children in a swimming pool. Authorities knew his fascination with people and being around them was likely to be his undoing, and he’s been in his own private section of the preserve ever since. The owners insisted his area include a deep, stone-rimmed pool of his own where he could safely indulge in his passion for swimming whenever he chooses.
With the return of the Netflix hit The Crown, fans will have their Anglophile fix from royal family drama in no time. Chronicling the life of Queen Elizabeth II, the new season returns with all the same stunning locales and real-life royal settings fans expect, and some additional wanderlust-inducing destinations avid travelers are going to want to add to their lists.
Mendocino County in Northern California is known for its craggy coastline, towering Redwoods, world-class wineries and creative microbreweries. Locals find autumn the best time of the year here, when the summertime crowds have given way to a more relaxed vibe, holding hands while leaf peeping passes for the perfect afternoon activity and crisp nights are made for snuggling. In other words, it’s the perfect setting and season for a couple’s getaway.