Targeting parents traveling with adult kids in their 20s and early 30s, adventure travel company Backroads launched a 20 & Beyond segment, which features trips that give each member of the family as much — or as little — time together or apart as they would like and offers activities geared toward different interests.
The 20 & Beyond trips join the company’s three other segments: Younger Kids (4–12), Kids & Teens (9–19) and Older Teens & 20s (17–23)
“As a father of three kids, I know how much more enjoyable it is traveling with families with similarly aged kids,” said Tom Hale, founder and president, Backroads, in a statement. “My kids’ interests and activity levels have changed over the years as they’ve grown, and it’s important for travel to fit those changes.”
Backroads offers more than 140 family-friendly itineraries in 85-plus destinations from Greece and the Canadian Rockies to Sicily and France. Seventy-five percent of travelers who book a Backroads adventure are repeat guests, a testament to how experiential and enriching these experiences can be.
The new 20 & Beyond trips can be found on the website, and are categorized into premier hotels, casual hotels, deluxe camping and small luxury ships.
Here is a sampling of the new trips for this age segment:
- Morocco Walking and Hiking Tour: Sample authentic tagines, listen to Berber music, hike to a village in the Atlas Mountains, stroll past olive groves and ride a camel on the dunes.
- Bali Bike Tour: Pedal amid terraced rice fields, exotic temples, bustling market towns and black-sand beaches and meet some of the friendliest locals you’ve ever encountered.
- Cuba Multi-Adventure Tour: Find the old and new Cuba: vintage cars, colonial towns, coffee plantations and tropical sun. Take hikes, bike rides and savor the vibrant culture of this island.
- Danube River Cruise Bike Tour: Cruise down the Danube from Prague to Passau, Vienna to Bratislava and then to Budapest. Take a ride through the Bavarian Forest, walk along Baroque architecture, sip local wine and brews and then hop back on board for your next adventure.
- Yosemite Walking and Hiking Tour: You’ll encounter lots of Instagrammable spots in this epic park: Half Dome, El Capitan, Yosemite Falls and Glacier Point. Soak it in!
This summer, family travel at The Peninsula receives an upgrade with the debut of Camp Peninsula, a children’s experience that recreates the spirit of camping right in the heart of Beverly Hills. The journey begins with a special welcome from Peter Bear, the hotel’s lovable mascot, at check-in. After taking a picture with the life-sized teddy bear, kids will be whisked away by a Peninsula Camp Counselor to a luxurious guestroom where a charming teepee awaits. An afternoon of camp-themed games and activities, including a hotel-wide scavenger hunt, rounds off the family-friendly experience, fun for children of all ages. Whether it’s a luxe staycation or an extended holiday, Camp Peninsula is an ideal way to ensure the little ones are happy campers.
Over the last three–four weeks, Portugal made significant strides in slowly, but surely, reopening the country for travel. As of May 18, Portugal further loosened restrictions by ending the country’s COVID-19 State of Emergency status while continuing social distancing.
With technology advancing faster than ever, children globally are becoming attached to devices. Adults too. Our Netflix queue and ever-expanding inbox call our names even when we’re on vacation. We carry distractions with us everywhere, and it’s becoming increasingly difficult to truly connect with your loved ones.
After a few months at home, working remotely, homeschooling children and juggling several roles at once, parents are going to need a well-deserved vacation post COVID-19. If you and your partner are looking for the perfect 2021 getaway, you won’t want to miss this amazing offer from Emerald Waterways.