Targeting parents traveling with adult kids in their 20s and early 30s, adventure travel company Backroads launched a 20 & Beyond segment, which features trips that give each member of the family as much — or as little — time together or apart as they would like and offers activities geared toward different interests.
The 20 & Beyond trips join the company’s three other segments: Younger Kids (4–12), Kids & Teens (9–19) and Older Teens & 20s (17–23)
“As a father of three kids, I know how much more enjoyable it is traveling with families with similarly aged kids,” said Tom Hale, founder and president, Backroads, in a statement. “My kids’ interests and activity levels have changed over the years as they’ve grown, and it’s important for travel to fit those changes.”
Backroads offers more than 140 family-friendly itineraries in 85-plus destinations from Greece and the Canadian Rockies to Sicily and France. Seventy-five percent of travelers who book a Backroads adventure are repeat guests, a testament to how experiential and enriching these experiences can be.
The new 20 & Beyond trips can be found on the website, and are categorized into premier hotels, casual hotels, deluxe camping and small luxury ships.
Here is a sampling of the new trips for this age segment:
- Morocco Walking and Hiking Tour: Sample authentic tagines, listen to Berber music, hike to a village in the Atlas Mountains, stroll past olive groves and ride a camel on the dunes.
- Bali Bike Tour: Pedal amid terraced rice fields, exotic temples, bustling market towns and black-sand beaches and meet some of the friendliest locals you’ve ever encountered.
- Cuba Multi-Adventure Tour: Find the old and new Cuba: vintage cars, colonial towns, coffee plantations and tropical sun. Take hikes, bike rides and savor the vibrant culture of this island.
- Danube River Cruise Bike Tour: Cruise down the Danube from Prague to Passau, Vienna to Bratislava and then to Budapest. Take a ride through the Bavarian Forest, walk along Baroque architecture, sip local wine and brews and then hop back on board for your next adventure.
- Yosemite Walking and Hiking Tour: You’ll encounter lots of Instagrammable spots in this epic park: Half Dome, El Capitan, Yosemite Falls and Glacier Point. Soak it in!
There are Florida luxury golf resorts, and then there is Streamsong Resort, which steers refreshingly clear of many common Florida golf resort conventions. The 216-room property is inland, and two hours from both Orlando’s and Tampa’s airports by car. It covers 16,000 acres of dunes, prairies and forests that, at different angles, evoke African savannah, the Australian outback and terrain from other corners of the United States. A day rolling along its Black, Blue or Red courses can resemble a safari with a surprising array of wildlife. Three main buildings — The Lodge, the Red Blue Clubhouse and the Black Clubhouse — carve a dramatic presence in this unusual, otherworldly setting.
While urban wine country might sound like an oxymoron, it’s actually a reality at the stunning City Vineyard in New York City’s Tribeca neighborhood. The water-side venue is the perfect host for your next event — whatever that may be, from 20 to 200 guests and from cocktail party to plated dinner.
California's Central Coast is an ideal destination for couples looking for a romantic weekend away. The coastal town of San Luis Obispo, SLO for short, lets you enjoy the beautiful California climate without the fast pace of a big city like Los Angeles or San Francisco.
Thanksgiving is the one annual long weekend when most families want to — and can — make time to spend together. “At home” may be your most typical choice, but it’s not the only option. There are lots of appealing places for your family to gather. Here are just a few to prompt your search for others, whether near or far from home.