Switzerland’s Vaud canton encompasses some of the country’s most breathtaking scenery and beautiful towns and villages, including Lausanne, Nyon, Villars-sur-Ollon and Montreux. Spread between the shores of Lake Geneva and the edge of France, and replete with castles, terraced vineyards and world-class hotels, it’s the ideal setting for a romantic break. We’ve got a few suggestions to help you with your planning:
- Relax with a beachside picnic on the shores of a sparkling body of water. Near the village of L’Abbaye at Lake Joux, a walking path along the water leads to a series of stunning mountain views, while Les Epanchoirs beach is the ideal base for an afternoon of pure tranquility. At Chillon Beach on Lake Geneva, you can swim, nibble cheese and sip wine beneath the fairytale castle shadows of Chateau de Chillon. The intimate beach can even be booked for private barbecues.
- Revisit the Lake Geneva and Lausanne settings used in some of the world’s most-loved films, including nine animated and feature films depicting the fictional character of Heidi originally created by author Johanna Spyri; Goldfinger from the James Bond franchise; Clouds of Sils Maria (IFC Films, 2014); and the 1938 Laurel and Hardy film Swiss Miss (Hal Roach Studios). An exhibition exploring the film settings called Backdrop Switzerland Expo will be on view in Morges until Jan. 5, 2020.
- Wander the sloped vineyards between Nyon and Rolle on a 3.4-mile walking route that spans four villages. Along the way, sample La Côte wines, view castles and make stops to taste regional gourmet favorites. There are nine other wine tours also on offer, all available on the Vaud:Guide app.
- Where would romance be without chocolate? The delicacies at MC Daujat in Leysin in the Vaud Alps are created by a family of artisans who craft all their sweets by hand. Ingredients, such as fruits, herbs and rhubarb, may even come from their organic kitchen garden. Flavorful concoctions include chocolates featuring caramel, mint, rosehip, lemon balm and hazelnut. The Château de Nyon in Nyon has a castlemuseum open year-round (times differ with seasons). Along with temporary exhibitions, the permanent collection covers four floors and includes a floor devoted to porcelain with pieces manufactured 1781–1813 in the Nyon porcelain factory. Elsewhere, visitors can tour the former castle prisons and view ancient graffiti; or peruse displays of artifacts dating to the area’s Neolithic lake dwellers.
- Vaud’s capital is Lausanne, and while the city offers numerous fabulous ways to be entertained, the stunning Botanical Garden Lausanne is perfect for romantic afternoons. Situated on Montriond Hill in the center of the city, the gardens feature winding paths between an estimated 6,000 plants, along with paths and plenty of places to sit and enjoy nature, Swiss style.
Can joining Disney Vacation Club help you save on family travel? Well, David’s Vacation Club Rentals, a source for Disney Vacation Club rentals, can provide some insight. Disney travel experts like Melissa Mullett, director of operations, David’s Vacation Club Rentals, provided some tips and insider knowledge on how Disney Vacation Club works.
United Airlines is in the midst of a major initiative to modernize its fleet over the next several years. After first announcing the plan in 2021, planes fitted with United’s signature interior are finally beginning to appear across the airline’s narrowbody fleet of Boeing and Airbus planes. United flyers are sure to notice these enhancements from the moment they step on board: Each new or updated plane sports remodeled seats, seatback entertainment screens for everyone, Bluetooth connectivity and more, all adding up to a better experience on every journey.
Does your road trip crew include young kids? We’ve been there, too, and know keeping everyone busy and entertained makes those long stretches of interstate much more peaceful.
In the market for new luggage? If you’re outfitting your entire family of travelers, you may want to check out some new offerings available at Target from travel brand Atlantic. Atlantic’s new line focuses on making travel more convenient with kiddos, and includes seven pieces to choose from, all made with durable, lightweight, sustainable materials (each item is made from up to 27 recycled plastic bottles).
As the only major U.S. airline to own a flight school, United Airlines already hit a major milestone, and now the carrier celebrates another important — and historic — step as the inaugural class of United Aviate Academy pilots graduates, leading the next generation of aviators. The 51 students in the graduating class were majority, at 80 percent, women and people of color — another stride toward United’s goal of training 5,000 new pilots by 2030 with half women or POC.
Engaging children in a family road trip can be a challenge, so parents often concentrate on keeping backseat passengers amused with games and activities. These focus their attention inside the car instead of on the places you travel.