Take your children to the kids’ clubs at some resorts and they might spend their days doing crafts, swimming in the pool or playing video games. Not at one luxury property in Oman.
Six Senses Zighy Bay, an 82-pool villa property located on the northern Musandam Peninsula in the Sultanate of Oman set in a bay between the Hajar Mountains and a private sandy beach, just launched its Grow With Six Senses Program. Designed to enrich kids’ six dimensions of learning — social, spiritual, environmental, physical, emotional and intellectual — the program is a holistic and fun way to get them in touch with nature and learn more about the world around them.
Here are some of the unique opportunities this new program affords:
- At the resort’s own farm, children can collect their own breakfast food, including farm-fresh, just-laid eggs, and learn how staff cares for the animals. They may also encounter the famous Zighy goats and family of camels that live by the bay; both consider the stone apple leaves and fruit and the branches and leaves of the neem trees among their favorite treats.
- In the organic garden kids can identify the different varieties of produce and flora and the different herbs and benefits and get their hands dirty learning to reclaim and sow seeds and caring for plants. Budding chefs can glean tips on preparing healthy food, understand what the term organic really means and discover how to shop for organic ingredients that are good for both their bodies as well as for the environment.
- At Earth Lab, an interactive session teaches kids and parents about recycling and upcycling, and they can take home their experiments and handiwork as mementos.
- Located at the spa, the Alchemy Bar lets kids craft organic and sustainable soaps, scrubs and masks with different herbs and botanicals — while uncovering the benefits of each ingredient. And nature music and yoga poses will calm their minds and maybe even enrich their souls.
- While snorkeling in the calm Gulf of Oman, a resident marine biologist will share information about the species located in the area, how harmful human waste can be especially to the sea turtles and manta rays, and how ocean clean-ups can restore and balance our waters. More adventurous families can get up close and personal with the fish, rays, turtles and more while scuba diving.
Arrival to the resort is by paraglide into Zighy Bay. All Six Senses Zighy Bay accommodations are built in a traditional Omani style from natural stone and warm woods, including high indigenous-style ceilings, a colorful and comfortable living area and a bed made with unbleached cotton sheets and a selection of ergonomic pillows. Diverse dining options including Sense on the Edge, contemporary fine dining with views of the Arabian Gulf and Dining Beyond the Bay, on a private sandbank. Families can also try regional specialties at Shua Shack, Spice Market and Wine Cellar, or book in-villa dining. Activities include dhow cruises, trekking, mountain biking, rock climbing and customized tours, while the spa melds tranquility, pampering, fitness and health using both ancient and modern techniques.
The Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands, opening June 1, introduces a collection of immersive ocean experiences through Jean-Michel Cousteau’s Ambassadors of the Environment Program and Fari Islands Collaboration. The property is situated on the northeastern rim of the North Malé Atoll of the Fari Islands.
The Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Card recently launched BoldFamilyTravel.Chase.com, an interactive, online resource allowing families to plan future travel together. The launch followed the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Card Survey of parents and grandparents that revealed most parents believe children are important resources for planning family vacations and that one-third of parents don’t currently involve their children in planning but would like to.
Travelers are ready for some rest and relaxation this spring break. Travel insurance company Allianz Partners surveyed travelers on their upcoming spring break travel plans. The study found Florida to be the top domestic destination. Mexico took the top spot among international destinations.
Everyone is itching to get back to travel. Travelocity is making that step back into exploring easier with its Early Bird giveaway, offering winners of an online contest a chance to win a $1,000 vacation package voucher.
While there are multiple LEGOLAND theme parks around the United States, a brand-new one is coming to Goshen, Orange County, New York — just 60 miles northwest of New York City. Shrink down to the size of toys and explore the new LEGOLAND Resort with your family.