Take your children to the kids’ clubs at some resorts and they might spend their days doing crafts, swimming in the pool or playing video games. Not at one luxury property in Oman.
Six Senses Zighy Bay, an 82-pool villa property located on the northern Musandam Peninsula in the Sultanate of Oman set in a bay between the Hajar Mountains and a private sandy beach, just launched its Grow With Six Senses Program. Designed to enrich kids’ six dimensions of learning — social, spiritual, environmental, physical, emotional and intellectual — the program is a holistic and fun way to get them in touch with nature and learn more about the world around them.
Here are some of the unique opportunities this new program affords:
- At the resort’s own farm, children can collect their own breakfast food, including farm-fresh, just-laid eggs, and learn how staff cares for the animals. They may also encounter the famous Zighy goats and family of camels that live by the bay; both consider the stone apple leaves and fruit and the branches and leaves of the neem trees among their favorite treats.
- In the organic garden kids can identify the different varieties of produce and flora and the different herbs and benefits and get their hands dirty learning to reclaim and sow seeds and caring for plants. Budding chefs can glean tips on preparing healthy food, understand what the term organic really means and discover how to shop for organic ingredients that are good for both their bodies as well as for the environment.
- At Earth Lab, an interactive session teaches kids and parents about recycling and upcycling, and they can take home their experiments and handiwork as mementos.
- Located at the spa, the Alchemy Bar lets kids craft organic and sustainable soaps, scrubs and masks with different herbs and botanicals — while uncovering the benefits of each ingredient. And nature music and yoga poses will calm their minds and maybe even enrich their souls.
- While snorkeling in the calm Gulf of Oman, a resident marine biologist will share information about the species located in the area, how harmful human waste can be especially to the sea turtles and manta rays, and how ocean clean-ups can restore and balance our waters. More adventurous families can get up close and personal with the fish, rays, turtles and more while scuba diving.
Arrival to the resort is by paraglide into Zighy Bay. All Six Senses Zighy Bay accommodations are built in a traditional Omani style from natural stone and warm woods, including high indigenous-style ceilings, a colorful and comfortable living area and a bed made with unbleached cotton sheets and a selection of ergonomic pillows. Diverse dining options including Sense on the Edge, contemporary fine dining with views of the Arabian Gulf and Dining Beyond the Bay, on a private sandbank. Families can also try regional specialties at Shua Shack, Spice Market and Wine Cellar, or book in-villa dining. Activities include dhow cruises, trekking, mountain biking, rock climbing and customized tours, while the spa melds tranquility, pampering, fitness and health using both ancient and modern techniques.
Halloween is right around the corner, which means its time to start making plans for spooky and scary stops for having fun with the family this fall. New York’s Cayuga County is always a fun visit for family travelers, but if you plan on being in the area this October, you will definitely want to explore its haunted history with some choice spots along New York’s Haunted History Trail. This curated list of haunted and spooky stops throughout New York features incredible locations showcasing the perfect combination of the state’s beautiful charm and fascinating history.
United Airlines is in the midst of a major initiative to modernize its fleet over the next several years. After first announcing the plan in 2021, planes fitted with United’s signature interior are finally beginning to appear across the airline’s narrowbody fleet of Boeing and Airbus planes. United flyers are sure to notice these enhancements from the moment they step on board: Each new or updated plane sports remodeled seats, seatback entertainment screens for everyone, Bluetooth connectivity and more, all adding up to a better experience on every journey.
The next two seasons see Franklin, Tennessee, come alive with festive events, fun pop-ups and colorful lights. Family travelers planning a trip to Tennessee this fall or winter must make time for Franklin, a city just south of Nashville with plenty of history and festivities awaiting.
As the only major U.S. airline to own a flight school, United Airlines already hit a major milestone, and now the carrier celebrates another important — and historic — step as the inaugural class of United Aviate Academy pilots graduates, leading the next generation of aviators. The 51 students in the graduating class were majority, at 80 percent, women and people of color — another stride toward United’s goal of training 5,000 new pilots by 2030 with half women or POC.
Mysterious glowing seas? Yes, actually! Through October, Florida’s Space Coast waters within Mosquito Lagoon, Banana River and Indian River Lagoon glow with blue-green bioluminescence — a phenomenon resulting from the presence of comb jellies and dinoflagellates (tiny, single-celled marine plankton that exist in some freshwater locations).