Take your children to the kids’ clubs at some resorts and they might spend their days doing crafts, swimming in the pool or playing video games. Not at one luxury property in Oman.
Six Senses Zighy Bay, an 82-pool villa property located on the northern Musandam Peninsula in the Sultanate of Oman set in a bay between the Hajar Mountains and a private sandy beach, just launched its Grow With Six Senses Program. Designed to enrich kids’ six dimensions of learning — social, spiritual, environmental, physical, emotional and intellectual — the program is a holistic and fun way to get them in touch with nature and learn more about the world around them.
Here are some of the unique opportunities this new program affords:
- At the resort’s own farm, children can collect their own breakfast food, including farm-fresh, just-laid eggs, and learn how staff cares for the animals. They may also encounter the famous Zighy goats and family of camels that live by the bay; both consider the stone apple leaves and fruit and the branches and leaves of the neem trees among their favorite treats.
- In the organic garden kids can identify the different varieties of produce and flora and the different herbs and benefits and get their hands dirty learning to reclaim and sow seeds and caring for plants. Budding chefs can glean tips on preparing healthy food, understand what the term organic really means and discover how to shop for organic ingredients that are good for both their bodies as well as for the environment.
- At Earth Lab, an interactive session teaches kids and parents about recycling and upcycling, and they can take home their experiments and handiwork as mementos.
- Located at the spa, the Alchemy Bar lets kids craft organic and sustainable soaps, scrubs and masks with different herbs and botanicals — while uncovering the benefits of each ingredient. And nature music and yoga poses will calm their minds and maybe even enrich their souls.
- While snorkeling in the calm Gulf of Oman, a resident marine biologist will share information about the species located in the area, how harmful human waste can be especially to the sea turtles and manta rays, and how ocean clean-ups can restore and balance our waters. More adventurous families can get up close and personal with the fish, rays, turtles and more while scuba diving.
Arrival to the resort is by paraglide into Zighy Bay. All Six Senses Zighy Bay accommodations are built in a traditional Omani style from natural stone and warm woods, including high indigenous-style ceilings, a colorful and comfortable living area and a bed made with unbleached cotton sheets and a selection of ergonomic pillows. Diverse dining options including Sense on the Edge, contemporary fine dining with views of the Arabian Gulf and Dining Beyond the Bay, on a private sandbank. Families can also try regional specialties at Shua Shack, Spice Market and Wine Cellar, or book in-villa dining. Activities include dhow cruises, trekking, mountain biking, rock climbing and customized tours, while the spa melds tranquility, pampering, fitness and health using both ancient and modern techniques.
If the hardest part of planning your vacation is worrying about leaving your family pet behind, DoubleTree Resort by Hilton, Myrtle Beach Oceanfront feels your pain. This season the hotel offers a Puppy Love package designed just for you and Fido.
While most travelers know Lake George to be a bustling lakeside beach town in the summer, it’s actually a true stunner in the fall and winter also. With warm-weather seekers and summer crowds heading home, Lake George stays open for business well into the fall and offers even better deals for traveling families looking for a budget — without having to compromise.
Yes, it’s not even Thanksgiving and we are talking Christmas — but this is a family-friendly festival to plan for: WinterFest 2019. Hosted at The Colorado Chautauqua, a national historic landmark in Boulder, Colorado, the inaugural event is a free, or close to it, celebration of all things Christmas and holiday cheer, Dec. 13–15.
By Hainan Airlines
Just a short drive outside Dublin, Kilkenny, Ireland, gives you and your family a large dose of history and culture to explore in one, small, easily walkable destination.