Take your children to the kids’ clubs at some resorts and they might spend their days doing crafts, swimming in the pool or playing video games. Not at one luxury property in Oman.
Six Senses Zighy Bay, an 82-pool villa property located on the northern Musandam Peninsula in the Sultanate of Oman set in a bay between the Hajar Mountains and a private sandy beach, just launched its Grow With Six Senses Program. Designed to enrich kids’ six dimensions of learning — social, spiritual, environmental, physical, emotional and intellectual — the program is a holistic and fun way to get them in touch with nature and learn more about the world around them.
Here are some of the unique opportunities this new program affords:
- At the resort’s own farm, children can collect their own breakfast food, including farm-fresh, just-laid eggs, and learn how staff cares for the animals. They may also encounter the famous Zighy goats and family of camels that live by the bay; both consider the stone apple leaves and fruit and the branches and leaves of the neem trees among their favorite treats.
- In the organic garden kids can identify the different varieties of produce and flora and the different herbs and benefits and get their hands dirty learning to reclaim and sow seeds and caring for plants. Budding chefs can glean tips on preparing healthy food, understand what the term organic really means and discover how to shop for organic ingredients that are good for both their bodies as well as for the environment.
- At Earth Lab, an interactive session teaches kids and parents about recycling and upcycling, and they can take home their experiments and handiwork as mementos.
- Located at the spa, the Alchemy Bar lets kids craft organic and sustainable soaps, scrubs and masks with different herbs and botanicals — while uncovering the benefits of each ingredient. And nature music and yoga poses will calm their minds and maybe even enrich their souls.
- While snorkeling in the calm Gulf of Oman, a resident marine biologist will share information about the species located in the area, how harmful human waste can be especially to the sea turtles and manta rays, and how ocean clean-ups can restore and balance our waters. More adventurous families can get up close and personal with the fish, rays, turtles and more while scuba diving.
Arrival to the resort is by paraglide into Zighy Bay. All Six Senses Zighy Bay accommodations are built in a traditional Omani style from natural stone and warm woods, including high indigenous-style ceilings, a colorful and comfortable living area and a bed made with unbleached cotton sheets and a selection of ergonomic pillows. Diverse dining options including Sense on the Edge, contemporary fine dining with views of the Arabian Gulf and Dining Beyond the Bay, on a private sandbank. Families can also try regional specialties at Shua Shack, Spice Market and Wine Cellar, or book in-villa dining. Activities include dhow cruises, trekking, mountain biking, rock climbing and customized tours, while the spa melds tranquility, pampering, fitness and health using both ancient and modern techniques.
Sign the family up for a volunteer project while on vacation to create new memories, help others and make the world a better place. Consider one of these organizations for your next family vacation.
When traveling with kids, a lot of factors come into play to ensure happiness and interest. The Family Vacation Guide researched Tripadvisor’s traveler reviews to determine the Top 100 Cities in the United States. Consider these cities when deciding where to vacation. From kid-friendly places to eat, hotels, attractions, ease of navigation and access to options, here are the top 10-ranked cities for kids according to real, family travelers’ reviews.
Disney Parks around the world shut down for months due to the global pandemic. Since then, most parks reopened, but with restrictions like limited capacity, no Fast Passes and more. Guests hoped they would bring back the beloved Fast Pass, allowing guests to skip long lines and head straight to the ride.
The St. Regis Punta Mita encourages guests to take a break from devices with the Disconnect to Reconnect experience. The offer promotes a digital detox, focusing instead on physical and mental wellness.
Before Disney Parks around the world shut down due to the global pandemic, guests were allowed to purchase and enter the parks with an Annual Pass. This ticket let visitors enter the parks multiple times a year, get discounts on food and merchandise, and more. Since reopening, Disney dropped the Annual Pass due to lower capacity and the reservation system. Recently, Disneyland Resort announced a new pass system for frequent visitors: the Magic Key Holder. There are a couple different levels for the passes, so make sure you do your research before purchasing.
Eastern State Penitentiary announced Halloween Nights, a new iteration of its Halloween celebration for 2021. From the creators of its Terror Behind the Walls, Halloween Nights at Eastern State Penitentiary transforms abandoned cellblocks and courtyards into newly designed immersive environments, featuring large-scale video projections and other special effects. Sections of the complex will be open to the public for the first time ever.