Costa Rica has been high on the list of great family travel destinations for awhile now, but did you know it’s also a top surfing destination? Thanks to the country’s two coastlines — the Caribbean and the Pacific — the destination boasts some of the best waves and breaks in the world.
Best of all, there are surf spots that work for everyone from first-timers to experts, and no need to bring a wetsuit as temperatures range from the mid-80s to 90s during the day year-round.
Not sure where to hang 10? Here are the five best surf towns, courtesy of International Living:
- Dominical, on Costa Rica’s southern Pacific coast — known for its dramatic mountains, rainforests, howler monkeys and sloths — offers powerful waves just right for experienced surfers. In nearby Dominicalito, the surf is calmer and the little beach town offers a few open-air eateries for just-caught seafood and handicraft vendors.
- Jacó, on the central Pacific coast ,is the closest major beach destination to San José, Costa Rica’s capital, at two hours away by car. The area, formerly known as a party town, morphed in recent years into a family-friendly destination, thanks to its many surf schools and miles-long beach. Here newbies and experts alike can learn to surf or perfect their skills, and you can also enjoy daytrips from here to other surfing destinations, like Playa Hermosa and Playa Esterillos.
- Tamarindo, on Costa Rica’s north Pacific coast, offers a long, gracefully curving beach and both beginner-friendly surf and powerful waves ear the river mouth. Tamarindo, known also for its beach bars, restaurants and surf schools, is also a great jumping-off point to Playa Grande, just across the river, as well as to Playa Avellanas and Playa Negra, about a half-hour south.
- Playa Cocles on Costa Rica’s relatively undeveloped Caribbean coast offers some of the best and most challenging surfing in the country, along with a few restaurants, hotels and shops. The area hosts some of the destination’s biggest annual surfing tournaments and the vibe is bohemian and lively.
- Playa Guiones in Nosara on the Nicoya Peninsula is so undeveloped you’ll need to bring your own drinks and snacks, but if secluded beaches are your thing, you’re in luck. Nicoya itself offers shops and restaurants along the coast, as well as yoga studios and centers for alternative healing.
With all these choices — all 800 miles of coastline — the hardest part will be deciding which beach to hit first.
Make this Easter the best yet and take your family to Camelback Resort. With the holiday quickly approaching, Camelback gears up for a weekend filled with family fun and Easter festivities — perfect for family travelers.
Filled with hidden treasures waiting to be discovered, Seoul invites travelers to unearth its many gems, and Seoul Tourism Organization is here to help travelers do just that. Through thoughtfully created initiatives like the Theme Tourism County Competition, Seoul Tourism Organization works closely with local districts to identify and showcase what makes each district unique and charming in all seasons.
Tokyo is a fascinating city that draws visitors for many reasons. Some go for the city’s exceptional cuisine, some look to experience a city teeming with technical innovations, while others go to discover Japan’s fascinating culture. But one theme seems to be constant no matter what your reason for visiting the city; it is a great place for family travelers, with plenty to see and do.
Making travel plans can be exciting; did you know planning on how to spend time at the airport the right way can enrich the overall trip experience? As a transfer hub, traveling through Doha's Hamad International Airport is a unique experience, as waiting never feels like waiting at one of the best airports in the world.
Are your upcoming family travels taking you on a road trip? It’s not always easy trying to keep an eye on the little ones while also keeping an eye on the road, but with Tiny Traveler, parents can have peace of mind about their child's safety on the road. This safe companion monitors the kids and can even record precious moments for eternity.