Today marks a somber day in American history as we commemorate the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. We remember and honor the heroes who passed away, were injured and who risked everything to help on that September day in 2001.
Many of us can remember the way our nation came together after the heinous events of 9/11. According to Newsweek, following the attacks, a record number of Americans donated to various causes to help the nation, victims and family and friends of those taken from us. Nearly 75 percent of the nation made a donation to the more than 300 organizations created to assist in the recovery.
While there are far fewer organizations still in existence today, 9/11 Day is one dedicated to establishing Sept. 11 as a National Day of Service and Remembrance in permanent tribute to those we lost. For the 20th anniversary, the organization is inviting everyone to “Shine A Light,” by taking a moment to pay tribute by posting and sharing one act of kindness, charity or service in honor of the anniversary.
A number of other organizations continue to support survivors. Consider honoring today’s anniversary by supporting the following organizations:
- Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation: Established in memory of firefighter Stephen Siller, the organization supports the families of injured or deceased firefighters, officers, military members and emergency services workers.
- Tuesday’s Children: This organization supports the survivors and families of 9/11 victims, and has expanded to include those impacted by terrorism and traumatic loss.
- Scholarship America: Support the Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund to ensure those who lost family members on 9/11 can afford higher education.
- FDNY Foundation & New York City Police Foundation: Support the tens of thousands of firefighters and police who rushed in to help on 9/11 by giving to the non-profit arms of the fire and police departments.
- USA Cares, Inc.: Help improve veterans’ quality of life and prevent veteran suicide by donating and supporting this organization.
- 9/11 Memorial & Museum: Help maintain the memorial to the 9/11 heroes.
However you choose to commemorate today’s anniversary, together we will always remember and honor the memory of those who gave everything on 9/11, the day our world forever changed.
Niagara Parks Power Station offers visitors a unique, interactive experience. Located on the Canadian side of the Niagara River, the once-dormant power station features all-day attractions where visitors learn how the hydropower station used the power of Niagara Falls to generate electricity.
Although some people consider Virginia Beach a summer destination, it thrives in the fall as well. This autumn, Virginia Beach is pulling out all the stops to become a prime destination for the season. Check out the list of offerings.
Through Oct. 15, Key West Attractions Association spearheads the Kids Free Florida Keys program, offering free admission and opportunities for children age 12 and younger. Parents, grandparents, extended families and their kiddos can explore Florida Keys attractions, tours, watersports and more with this value-added program.
Sign the family up for a volunteer project while on vacation to create new memories, help others and make the world a better place. Consider one of these organizations for your next family vacation.