When it comes to traveling as a family, there’s the traditional route of reserving a few adjoining resort or hotel rooms so everyone can be together, yet have their own space when needed (think nap time). An alternative idea to the traditional is to rent a vacation home so you can all be together with living areas to boot, yet still have your own space to get back to for some quiet time.
According to the pros at HomeAway, which offers more than 2 million unique listings in 190 countries, cost-saving amenities such as multiple bedrooms and kitchens in which to prepare meals rather than eating out are why travelers continue to turn to vacation rentals when looking for their home away from home.
Keep these booking tips from HomeAway in mind when searching for your next vacation rental. They can save you time and money.
- More Inventory: The more inventory from which you have to choose, the more likely you are to find the right rental home that meets your needs and fits within your budget.
- Filter: There’s no sense in perusing studio lofts when you need a four-bedroom home to accommodate your family. This is when you realize filters are your friend. Start with the number of bedrooms you need and amount you’re willing to spend and go from there. Once you’ve narrowed down the selections, add in filters that will let you know which have pools and hot tubs, an outdoor grill or welcome Fido, too.
- Review Time: The reviews are in, and HomeAway suggests there’s no better indicator about what a vacation home is really like than through reviews of previous travelers.
- Map It Out: Just like filters, the map is your friend when it comes to selecting just the right spot for you and your family. If you’re looking for a beach house in South Florida, or a lodge at a popular ski resort, the map can show you just how close — or far — you can be to the action.
- Plan ahead: Unlike hotels that have room inventories, if the rental of your dreams is already booked, it’s a no-go for your family’s vacation. That being said, take some time to begin your vacation planning early. If you know your family wants to spend spring break on the slopes of Tahoe or at the theme parks in Orlando, start thinking about that now.
As far as when to book your vacation rental, HomeAway suggests booking at least six to 12 weeks before you plan to travel. Avoid holiday weekends; and avoid booking stays during big events (like the upcoming Super Bowl in Minneapolis).
Keeping these tips and insights in mind when looking for vacations rentals will have you booked in no time, and looking forward to family time.
Only the bravest of family travelers should venture to Universal Orlando Halloween Horror Nights. Every year, Universal Orlando turns into the spookiest place in Florida, if not in the country. On select nights throughout the season, visitors and locals alike can head to the popular amusement park for frights, scares and thrilling adventures. Explore 10 terrifying haunted houses; five scare zones; live entertainment; and themed attractions, food and merchandise.
As the only major U.S. airline to own a flight school, United Airlines already hit a major milestone, and now the carrier celebrates another important — and historic — step as the inaugural class of United Aviate Academy pilots graduates, leading the next generation of aviators. The 51 students in the graduating class were majority, at 80 percent, women and people of color — another stride toward United’s goal of training 5,000 new pilots by 2030 with half women or POC.
With kids back in school and the grueling temperatures of summer finally behind us, life is starting to get back into the routine of fall. That doesn’t mean, however, that family fun has to stop. Big international trips may not be practical for all family travelers this time of year, but places like South County in Rhode Island offer so many fun things to do for families, a quick trip to this East Coast haven is practically a must.
Take Part in England’s Exmoor Dark Skies Festival Dusk Wildlife Safaris and Children’s Art Competition
Planning a trip to the United Kingdom soon? Time your travel for the Exmoor Dark Skies Festival in Somerset, England, from Oct. 13 to 29. The setting is Exmoor National Park, located within a gorgeous mix of farmland, wild forests, stunning valleys and moorlands in South West England.
United Airlines is in the midst of a major initiative to modernize its fleet over the next several years. After first announcing the plan in 2021, planes fitted with United’s signature interior are finally beginning to appear across the airline’s narrowbody fleet of Boeing and Airbus planes. United flyers are sure to notice these enhancements from the moment they step on board: Each new or updated plane sports remodeled seats, seatback entertainment screens for everyone, Bluetooth connectivity and more, all adding up to a better experience on every journey.
Part of a family who just loves a good scare or ghost story? This fall, wherever your travels might take you, chances are you’ll be near an Omni hotel or resort with a history of haunted sightings and other scary happenings. So, why not learn a bit about where you’re staying to make the experience all the more eerie …