Want to organize a trip with your young adult children but stumped about where to find just the right thing that will tempt them to join you on a family vacation? This year Butterfield & Robinson has come up with a list of its top 10 family adventures designed for parents with kids in their older teens and twenties. This collection of small group trips are scheduled during holidays and can be a perfect celebration of graduation, a first job or a big birthday.
- Costa Brava Biking: Explore this popular Mediterranean region as you ride along rolling volcanic hills at the foot of the Pyrenees and explore historic villages en route. You can even cannonball off the side of B&R’s sailboat while cruising the Costa Brava, dine on farm-to-fork cuisine in Figueres and enjoy an intimate art tour with an expert on the artist Salvador Dali.
- Peru Walking: See Machu Picchu after the tourists have left for the day by spending the night at Sanctuary Lodge nearby. You can walk the ruins of the Sacred Valley and hike the cloud forests of the Inca Trail before hopping the Hiram Bingham Train back to Cusco for a final night dinner in an Inca palace.
- Dolomites Hiking: You won’t see too many other tourists in the Alpe di Siusi, where you can meet locals, enjoy hardy cuisine and tackle an Alpine hike, which also includes a guided trek along a via ferrata.
- Berlin to Prague Biking: Not only are these two of the most interesting cities in Europe, but the route includes the UNESCO city of Dresden, the bike paths of the Spreewald — complete with an overnight at a spa hotel — and a stay at a hotel in the city of Spires.
- Vienna to Budapest Biking: Wend your way along the Danube through three countries and capitals. Glide past quiet lakes and historic towns, with stops at highly rated restaurants, and enjoy overnights in Budapest’s Gresham Palace and at Taubenkobel where you can cool off after a day of riding with a splash in the hotel pool.
- Switzerland E-biking: Make it easy on yourself with an e-bike ride through mountains and glacial vistas, stop for lunch in a mountain hut, then traverse a high-altitude glacier via a looming suspension bridge.
- Prague to Vienna Biking: Bike from these two dramatically different cities, past towering castles, hilltop monasteries — one of which is your hotel— followed by dinner at the legendary Landhaus Bacher. Finish off at arguably the most famous hotel in Vienna, the Hotel Sacher.
- Tuscany Biking: Enjoy Siena’s main piazza in the evening, dining al fresco on a meal prepared by a private chef. Join locals in their own backyard for an afternoon of food, fun and even dancing, arranged by B&R guides.
- Mallorca Biking: Cycle along the coast, through lemon groves and past almond fields on this journey through Mallorca. There are options for every riding ability, from the easy, level interior routes to the more challenging coast. Along the way, enjoy tapas, great scenery and unique hotels in beautiful settings.
- Normandy & Brittany Biking: Ride past white-sand beaches and war memorial markers for a hands-on history lesson the kids are not likely to forget. After a stay at the Villa Lara, families can avoid the crowds with a backstage tour of Mont Saint-Michel, followed by a gourmet (this is France, after all) meal.
Family departures take place on specific dates during the year, March 29–Aug. 16, with prices that start from $4,995 to $7,895, depending on the itinerary.
If none of these trips quite work, B&R can also design a fully customized private trip for your family and friends in destinations around the world.
Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens in Northeast Florida is a popular family travel spot for many reasons. From its exciting animal attractions to vibrant gardens to food offerings to seasonal events, the zoo continues to dazzle both locals and visitors alike.
United Airlines is in the midst of a major initiative to modernize its fleet over the next several years. After first announcing the plan in 2021, planes fitted with United’s signature interior are finally beginning to appear across the airline’s narrowbody fleet of Boeing and Airbus planes. United flyers are sure to notice these enhancements from the moment they step on board: Each new or updated plane sports remodeled seats, seatback entertainment screens for everyone, Bluetooth connectivity and more, all adding up to a better experience on every journey.
Bring your brood abroad this year for spring break. Consider a visit to one of these destinations, perfect for a family-friendly getaway.
The western Canadian province of British Columbia is known for its skiing and winter sports, with Whistler Blackcomb often named one of North America’s top ski destinations. But British Columbia has more places to ski and play in the snow, family-friendly resorts with budget-friendly prices, and up to 400 inches of powder snow. An exchange rate of 75 cents to the dollar is an added incentive for American family travelers to travel north for a vacation.
Five Tips to Help Minimize Potential Travel Problems
Make this Easter the best yet and take your family to Camelback Resort. With the holiday quickly approaching, Camelback gears up for a weekend filled with family fun and Easter festivities — perfect for family travelers.