No matter the length of your abroad adventure, it is likely you will become homesick at some point in time. Instead of panicking and booking a flight home, check out this list of tips to help aid homesickness and keep in touch with your support system. It is important to remember it is completely okay to feel homesick at times, and you are never alone.
- Before you adventure abroad, be sure to tell your friends and family the easiest and most convenient ways to reach you. It is especially important to notify older generations what applications or websites they should use as they may need assistance setting it up. The functions of WhatsApp may be common sense for millennials, but baby boomers may have a tough time.Popular apps include WhatsApp, WeChat, Skype, Google Voice, Viber and Kik. Depending on your location the locals may prefer different apps over others and some may not even be accessible in your region.
- Schedule your phone calls and chats with family just like you would a class or meeting, and most importantly, keep your word. You are much more likely to contact your best friend from home if you plan to call them at 4 p.m. EST, instead of having to calculate time zone differences in the moment.
- A popular way to record your memories and connect with your loved ones at home is to blog. This provides an outlet for your emotions and also lets you share your journey with your friends and family without spending hours on the phone telling the same stories over and over again. Enable the comment section so your followers can reply to your post and engage with the blog.
- Text messages may come and go, but postcards stay forever. Postcards are one of the best ways to preserve memories while abroad. Choose a pen pal to converse with and plan to reply to every note they send. Postcards are a cheap and thoughtful way to remind your loved ones you are thinking about them, and one of the best parts is you don’t have to reply back and forth right away.
- Share your adventure of a lifetime with a friend or family member and invite them to visit. List some of the sights and activities you can show them so they are more likely to join you. It is best to plan a visit as soon as possible due to the fact ticket prices will keep increasing closer to the date of departure.
- One of the best ways to aid homesickness is to make new friends. Although they will not necessarily take your loved one’s place, they will expose you to new cultures and attitudes. It is best to find a communal living space. If you are traveling for a weekend to a different city, opt for a hostel instead of a one-room hotel by yourself.
With cooler weather and fall colors on its way, it’s time to plan your fall family travels. Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park Camp-Resort PA Wilds in Mansfield is the perfect destination, and with both scary and not-so-scary events, kids and parents alike can celebrate the festive season with trick-or-treating, fall crafts, fun with the Yogi Bear characters and more.
As the only major U.S. airline to own a flight school, United Airlines already hit a major milestone, and now the carrier celebrates another important — and historic — step as the inaugural class of United Aviate Academy pilots graduates, leading the next generation of aviators. The 51 students in the graduating class were majority, at 80 percent, women and people of color — another stride toward United’s goal of training 5,000 new pilots by 2030 with half women or POC.
Oktoberfest is not all about beer. Although beer does play a major role, many of these German-themed fall festivals include activities fun for the whole family. You don’t need to travel to Munich to enjoy the oom-pah bands, lively dances, colorful Bavarian dress and traditional German foods; you can find them in almost all regions of the United States this October. Here are some good choices for families:
Rome is a city full of musts for visitors. You must visit the Colosseum, the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps. And the list goes on, all the way down to trying gelato. No trip to Rome would be complete without the obligatory sweet treat, and for good reason. Gelato is delicious, refreshing and it comes in every flavor you can imagine. But while you can find it just about everywhere you turn in the Eternal City, it’s important to know not all gelatos are created equal. The city is brimming with fakes, and once you know how to tell the difference, not only will you see the fake stuff everywhere, but you will also refuse to settle for less than authentic.
United Airlines is in the midst of a major initiative to modernize its fleet over the next several years. After first announcing the plan in 2021, planes fitted with United’s signature interior are finally beginning to appear across the airline’s narrowbody fleet of Boeing and Airbus planes. United flyers are sure to notice these enhancements from the moment they step on board: Each new or updated plane sports remodeled seats, seatback entertainment screens for everyone, Bluetooth connectivity and more, all adding up to a better experience on every journey.
Looking for a unique, fun and educational activity for the kids during your next family travels? Well, Kidzania has you covered. Located in Dallas, Texas, this city is not only built for kids but also run by kids. It’s unlike any other entertainment parks; in Kidzania, kids learn useful knowledge, skills and experiences, all while having the chance to be independent.