In its many forms, for men, women and children, riding boots are a cool weather fashion essential with a lot of function that has transcended the racetracks, equestrian clubs and polo matches. Runing the gamut from the simple, straightforward design of English riding boots to playful Western cowboy styles, they ensure warmth and foot and ankle support and work for a lot of occasions. Just ask veteran fashion designer Ralph Lauren, who cultivated his decades-long following with the boots along with riding jackets and other garments.
Darley Newman, host of public television and Amazon Prime streaming series Travels with Darley, points out choosing the right riding gear is not just about making a fashion statement, but also about being properly equipped for family horseback riding outings as well as a variety of other outdoor activities. Other essentials, such as horse blankets, are also great for added comfort and warmth during fall and winter road trip vacations as well as a must-have for an impromptu picnic or outdoor concert.
Here are a few of her picks:
- Ariat Riding Boots: “For riding boots I love Ariat, as you can see in the photo from a recent shoot we did in Santa Fe for season seven of the show. I’ve been wearing them for years for riding on and off camera! This brand also makes a riding boot that can be used for hiking and for casual outings, which are really comfortable and cuts down on packing space. Ariat also manufactures smartly tailored equestrian jackets and pants in a range of sizes that work off the track and field for work and school.”
- Point Six Socks: “Under those boots, I’m often wearing Point Six Socks, which are as light and breathable as you need them to be and quick drying as you can see here after a morning ride at C Lazy U Ranch in Granby, Colorado. They incorporate new technology so that you’re comfortable in a variety of situations. I always take into account sock length if I’m riding, since you’ll need socks that go up to your upper shins or higher to avoid rubbing from the boots.”
- Victorinox Expandable Suitcases: “I pack all this and more for a well-stocked weekend into my Victorinox expandable suitcase, which can fit everything I need and are really light and sturdy but also look great — basically everything you need in a suitcase!”
Websites like SmartPak also offer gear that goes the distance, whether you are an experienced rider, new in the saddle or simply love the clean, elegant lines of equestrian style. Some examples:
- The Piper Waterproof Rain Jacket: The jacket is designed with a flattering silhouette that will suit every figure type, and is available in a range of fun colors and printed linings that will brighten up any rainy day at the barn, on the town or at school. It features a higher zip neck for extra protection from the elements and a handy stowable hood that packs away neatly when you don’t need it.
- Piper Girls Original Breeches with Knee Patch: The popular women’s riding pant, scaled for girls and teens, is cut with a fashionable low-rise design that hits below the belly button for a modern look. They are available in a variety of fun color options so a young rider can show off her style in the riding school ring or other outdoor pursuits during the cooler months. They can be mixed and matched with casual or formal tops. Design elements like Euro seat styling and a wide, contoured waistband eliminate gapping while comfortable, four-way stretch fabric moves with you in the saddle.
Add a touch of education, but make it fun, to family travel at WonderWorks Myrtle Beach. Your kids will avoid the summer slide and keep up with their learning, all while having a good time. WonderWorks is indoors, allowing people to visit no matter the weather; dubbed “an amusement park for the mind” the whole family will head home having learned something new.
United Airlines officially became the only major U.S. airline to own a flight training school with the opening of United Aviate Academy on Jan. 27. The moment was made even more historic with its inaugural class, which is 80 percent women and people of color.
Family travelers and fans of nature and the great outdoors must try Skunk Train’s newest offering, Hike to the Glen. Following the railroad tracks, hikers walk through Pudding Creek into the untouched redwood groves, previously only accessible via the Skunk Train or its railbikes.
Family travelers visiting Key West this August are in for a unique treat at the 25th annual Key West Lobster Festival. This fun event, Aug. 11–14, takes place at multiple locations on and around the city’s popular Duval Street. As the city celebrates the opening of lobster season, visitors enjoy fun activities celebrating all things lobster.
Embark on a family journey through The Last Frontier with Celebrity Cruises® and experience an unforgettable luxury vacation in the untouched natural beauty of Alaska. The breathtaking landscape of this pristine wilderness sets the stage for every memorable moment from up-close, awe-inspiring views of glaciers to observing native wildlife, including whales, bears, bald eagles, and moose. This corner of the world offers not only spectacular scenery, but also opportunities to learn about the history and culture of Alaska — from the native people who’ve lived here for centuries to the adventurers seeking their fortunes during the gold rush. No matter which sailing you choose, you’ll journey through the ever-popular Inside Passage — one of the most popular experiences on any Alaska vacation — and visit Hubbard Glacier or Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier.
Take to your family travel on four wheels with San Diego’s Gaslamp Skate Series, bringing summer vibes to the Gaslamp Quarter. Hosted by Sunset Roller Club, the skating is accompanied by DJ-spun hits from the 1970s, 80s, 90s and the 2000s.